Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oriental Daily Interview Series -- Part 2: Sean Lau

Part 2: Interview with Sean Lau

Original article published 2/13/2011
Source: Oriental Daily

Translated by: llwy12


Pictures credit as listed

Sean Lau clarifies Margie Tsang’s 28 year ‘misunderstanding’
Many of HK’S best actors and actresses graduated from TVB’s 12th Acting Class – for years, these artists have been able to shine on the acting stage. One of these ‘shining stars’ is HKFA Best Actor Sean Lau – even his former classmate, actress Margie Tsang, looks up to him with a sense of reverence and awe. So this time, as Margie bravely invites Sean for an interview, she is surprisingly able to ‘melt’ Sean’s usual ‘coolness’ and get him to talk candidly about certain ‘chapters’ of his life. In the process, Margie is able to ‘dissolve’ a misunderstanding that has lasted 28 years!

M = Margie Tsang
S = Sean Lau

Acting Class: Denies being ‘cool’, sits in a corner and laughs with others

In 1982, a group of youth applied to study in the 12th Acting Class at TVB – with a little bit of that childish innocence still in them, these young potential actors love to play but also love to laugh. Throughout the years, they’ve had their fair share of funny situations as well as misunderstandings….

M: I’ve always felt that you have a very ‘cool’ personality and immersed in your own world. Our group – including Sandra [Ng], Michael [Tao], myself, and a few others – would play around and get pretty wild, but yet you would always sit in a corner.

S: Huh? I don’t feel it’s that way! Perhaps it’s because I’m afraid to be around a lot of people – but I actually do laugh with you guys while sitting in my corner! Actually, in the past, I’ve had doubts about whether I’m a good fit with this industry. Back during the acting class days when I was poorest, I only had a dollar on me, yet I didn’t want to ask my family for money, so I had no choice but to walk to and from school and live off of cup of noodles. You’ve seen for yourself how I didn’t participate in a lot of the activities back during that time.

M: Oh, no wonder! Back in the day, we had a ‘rumor’ that circulated amongst our group that you only had 1 pair of jeans that you only washed once a week, so that’s why you were embarrassed to be around us!

S: No! I actually had 3 pairs – it’s just that they were all the same style!

M: The holes were in all the same places?

S: Yes, the same! Actually, all these years, I still like the same things – even right now, most of my jeans have holes in them!

M: Hahahaha! So we ‘misunderstood’ you for 28 years then! We didn’t know you were that loyal! Back in those days, we were a pretty harmonious group and hung out together from morning till night. There were definitely a lot of happy situations!

S: Yes! Actually, I feel that I was quite playful during that time – especially when we would get together to rehearse for the anniversary galas, it was a lot of fun!

M: So back then, which of the male artists did you feel would succeed?

S: Michael [Tao] was the most carefree, plus his acting was good – if you told him to cry, he could do so immediately! Lawrence [Ng] was the good-looking one, definitely perfect for the ‘melancholy scholar’ type roles.


Opportunities: Success in television and movie based on taking the initiative

Sean has a very low-key personality, yet it’s because of the 2 times when he took the initiative and was proactive that he gained unexpected results. The first time landed him in the television industry, and the second time allowed him to break into movies.

M: Back in the days, why did you decide to enter the acting class?

S: Actually, my dad was the one who told me to apply. After the interview, I didn’t hear back for a long time – I thought to myself that there’s no reason why I wouldn’t be accepted into the class, so I bravely called to ask about it. That’s when I found out that they lost my application – plus that day was the deadline, so I rushed over there with my dad and we made it just in time.

M: Wow, luckily you made that phone call – sometimes, things are just meant to be! So later on, how did you end up entering the film industry?

S: There wasn’t a particular reason, I just felt that it was the right time, but unfortunately, I didn’t have any connections in the film industry at the time. Later on, I met director Derek Yee and he told me about the script that he wrote for the movie "C’est La Vie, Mon Cheri". I immediately recommended myself for the movie, but he didn’t promise me anything – shortly after that, TV series "The Greed of Man" aired on TVB and when Derek saw it, he felt that I had potential, so he sought me out to collaborate in his movie.

M: Oh, so it sounds like you got pretty lucky…as soon as you open your mouth, you get good opportunities! So what is your opinion on the TV series made nowadays?

S: Primarily, technique and equipment has advanced a lot. Actually, I’ve been ‘chasing’ "No Regrets" recently, as I am a fan of Wayne Lai!

M: Back in our time, we actually collaborated in quite a few series. I remember when we were filming <>, there was one scene where you were trying to make me leave you because you didn’t want me to die with you – so manly!

S: You still feel so touched even now? You’re so silly!

M: Well, the character was likable, as it gave audiences the impression that you are a good man. By the way, I know a lot of people who really like you – since you’re not good-looking, perhaps they are attracted to your personality?

S: They probably just like the characters I play! Luckily, most of my roles have been favorable with audiences. Several years ago, the night I won the Best Actor award at HKFA, I heard a lot of applause from the audience, which surprised me a bit. I’ve ‘pretended’ to receive awards in movies, but when it’s the real thing, it’s definitely different! I was very touched! Afterwards, I was at the market and a husband/wife couple came up to me – they were crying and told me how happy they were for me. I was very surprised and moved!


Relationship: Tries to surprise his wife, but she always sees through it

Sean is rarely associated with any rumors or gossip – in fact, he and his wife Amy Kwok are known as a model couple in the entertainment industry. Sean admits that he is not romantic and on the occasion when he tries to ‘surprise’ his wife, she always manages to see through it.

M: That night, at Kiki’s wedding banquet, I saw the expression in Amy’s eyes when she looked at you – I could tell that she is so in love with you! Are you her idol?

S: (Laughing) Hahaha! Her eyes are like that, it always looks like she’s smiling! As for me, I have that mean look…but honestly, since I see her every day, I don’t notice anything special.

M: Have there been times when the two of you would get together and it seems like there is nothing to talk about?

S: Occasionally, but we’ve been married for more than 10 years already – after such a long time, it’s normal!

M: Have you ever wished that your wife wasn’t part of the industry?

S: Never thought about it. It’s her personal decision…to be honest though, she really has sacrificed a lot because of me.

M: How do you two celebrate during the holidays and such?

S: We don’t celebrate any holidays. Occasionally, on our wedding anniversary, we may have a little bit of celebration – I usually give her flowers.

M: What was your most romantic move?

S: None really, since it’s very hard to give Amy a surprise. I remember one time, the day before our wedding anniversary, right when I was about to go out, she asked me if I remembered to take the address with me. I asked her what address? She immediately handed me the business card to a flower shop – obviously, she saw right through it already. I guess the ‘biggest’ surprise would be giving her a ring or some jewelry for our anniversary.

M: Do you give all the money you earn to your wife?

S: I give it all to her to manage for me. I’m too lazy to read all those letters written in English – it’s too much hassle to look up each word in the dictionary.

M: You two have decided not to have any children?

S: Pretty much. Haven’t really thought about it much.

M: I agree. Pregnancy is already not an easy feat, but having to raise a child is even more difficult…it’s a lifetime commitment.

S: That’s why I just play with other people’s babies. Those parents actually envy how we still have our freedom!


Epilogue: Afraid of being tortured, so not used to granting interviews
Generally speaking, Sean Lau is a man of few words, yet this time around, when he recounts the ‘old days’, he talks non-stop. He explains the reason why he rarely accepts interviews: “It’s difficult to talk about the same feelings over and over again.” Upon hearing this, Margie felt so honored and excited that Sean decided to let her interview him, she kept ‘teasing’ him playfully, causing Sean to laugh and say to her: “I grant an interview and you torture me like this! Now you know why I don’t like to do interviews!” Old friends getting together to reminisce about the past, of course there will be endless topics to talk – and laugh – about!

.***.

Chinese Version:

劉青雲釋曾華倩28年誤會

無綫第十二期藝員訓練班造就一班好戲之人,他們在這個演藝舞台上發光發熱,當中表表者包括金像影帝劉青雲,連同期同學曾華倩對他也有一種敬畏感,不過華倩今次大膽相約談心,沒料能將cool爆的青雲「溶掉」,華倩把冰山劈開同時,從中更「化解」了一場28年的誤會!

曾:曾華倩 劉:劉青雲

訓練班篇:唔認cool 坐埋一邊陪笑

82年,一班年輕人報讀「第十二期藝員訓練班」,童心未泯的他們愛玩愛笑,鬧出不少笑話,當中又有很多誤會……

曾:我成日覺得你好cool,沉醉喺自己個世界,我同吳君如、陶大宇成班人玩到好癲,你就坐埋一角!

劉:吓?我唔覺得係咁架喎!可能我怕多人,但我有陪笑架!我都有懷疑過自己適唔適合做呢行,訓練班最窮嗰時,身上得一蚊,但又唔想問屋企攞錢,惟有行路返學放學,又捱杯麵,你見我當年好多活動都冇去架。

曾:唔怪得!我哋當年流傳你得一條牛仔褲,一星期先洗一次咋!

劉:唔係喎!我有三條,不過一樣款之嘛!

曾:穿窿位都一樣?

劉:都一樣呀,其實我咁多年鍾意嘅嘢都差唔多,依家條牛仔褲都有窿嘅!

曾:哈哈哈!咁我哋誤會咗你廿八年呀!原來你真係咁專一!當年我哋算係團結,由朝對到黑,有好多開心事!

劉:係,其實我覺得自己好貪玩,當年一齊排台慶就好好玩喇。

曾:當時你睇好邊個男仔跑出?

劉:大宇就好開朗,做戲又好,話喊就喊!吳啟華就靚仔,係憂鬱小生型格。

際遇篇:勇闖影視 全靠主動

青雲個性低調,卻因為兩次做主動換來意想不到的收穫,第一次令他有機會踩入公仔箱,第二次則讓他闖進影壇。

曾:當年點解會報讀訓練班?

劉:其實係我爹哋叫我報,面試之後好耐都冇通知,我覺得冇理由唔得,於是膽粗粗打電話問,原來封信寄失咗,嗰日仲係截止,我即刻同爹哋飛的士去報名!

曾:好在你打電話咋,有時啲嘢真係整定,咁之後點解去拍戲?

劉:冇架,覺得係時候,但係一個電影人都唔識架。之後遇到爾冬陞(小寶),佢同我講《新不了情》嘅劇本,我即刻自薦,佢冇應承我,冇幾耐,電視劇《大時代》就出街,小寶覺得我得,先搵我。

曾:咁你都幾開口中!一係唔出聲,一出聲就有得着!係喇,咁你點睇依家啲電視劇?

劉:主要係技術、器材進步咗。我有睇《義海豪情》架,我係祥仔(黎耀祥)fans!

曾:我哋當時拍劇合作都算多,記得同你拍《大運河》,有句對白你要趕我走,因為你唔想我陪你死,好man!

劉:你依家仲好touching?你咪傻囉!

曾:個角色令人覺得你係好男人,話時話,我識好多人都好鍾意你,你又唔係靚仔,可能覺得你有性格。

劉:鍾意我啲角色啫!好在我多數角色都係討好嘅。前幾年我攞影帝嗰晚聽到好多掌聲,嚇咗一跳!拍戲攞獎我有試過,但真嘅又唔同,好感動!之後我去街市,有兩公婆喊晒話好戥我開心,好surprise!

感情篇:製造驚喜 老婆玩踢爆

向來甚少緋聞的青雲,與太太郭藹明堪稱圈中模範夫婦,不過他自嘲不浪漫,偶爾想搞驚喜都會被老婆識穿!

曾:嗰晚娥姐(商天娥)餐喜酒,見到你老婆望住你嘅眼神,愛到不得了!佢當你係偶像?

劉:(笑晒)哈哈!佢對眼係咁,生成一個笑樣啫,我就惡樣,日日對住真係唔覺喎。

曾:會唔會坐埋一齊成日冇嘢講?

劉:都會架,結咗婚超過十年,有時耐咗,好正常啫!

曾:唔想太太係圈中人?

劉:冇咁諗,係個人嘅選擇,不過佢真係為咗我放棄咗好多。

曾:過時過節點慶祝?

劉:我就唔慶祝節日嘅,結婚周年紀念就有慶祝吓,送吓花咁。

曾:最勁係咩浪漫招?

劉:好難畀驚喜,有次周年紀念前一日我落街,佢問我有冇帶地址,我問咩地址呀?佢即刻遞張花店嘅卡片畀我,佢識穿晒我啲嘢啦,最大驚喜都係送戒指同飾物咁囉。

曾:賺錢係咪畀晒太太?

劉:都係交畀佢管理啦,費事睇啲英文信,要逐個字查字典。

曾:決定唔生小朋友?

劉:唔喇!冇諗呢樣。

曾:我都贊成,懷胎十月好似好辛苦,但之後養仲難,係成世人嘅包袱。

劉:所以會玩吓朋友個BB,佢哋都羨慕我好free架!

後記:怕糟質唔慣受訪

平日寡言的劉青雲談起往事即滔滔不絕,他解釋甚少接受訪問的原因:「一段感受點可以講咁多次?」令華倩大感榮幸,high爆的她影合照時更不停在青雲身後整古做怪,青雲即笑說:「一出嚟就畀你糟質,知我點解唔出嚟啦?」老朋友敍舊,有說不完的話題,也令餐廳充滿歡笑聲!

採訪:立影

攝影:黎志輝

場地:Grand Central

4 comments:

  1. These interviews are awesome! I wish Carina had done one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @retrotvb: Actually, Margie already interviewed Carina back in December....it wasn't part of this particular series of interviews that she did for Oriental Daily though. The interview she did with Carina was a television interview and it was because Carina was promoting her "Detective Dee" movie....that was a good interview though -- definitely a "historic" moment given their "relation" to Tony.

    Let me see if I can find the news article on it (which I had also translated for AF as well back then)....I don't remember if I still have the link to the actual show though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these interviews are awesome. I love Sean-Margie pair from "The Grand Canal" (I'm assuming that's the series Margie mentioned in the interview where Sean tried to make her leave because he didn't want her dying with him). Has it been 28 years already since their acting class?! Time really flies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Clair: I agree! Love these interviews alot as well!

    Yes, that was the series they were referring to -- I actually remember that particular scene quite well (I guess I've seen the series enough times to remember...hahaha).

    Absolutely -- time definitely flies! Though for me, I'm still in the 80s/90s era when it comes to TVB series -- or maybe I just miss that era too much...

    ReplyDelete