Thursday, June 14, 2012

Follow-up post to Weibo Fever # 15 : Will Sheren Tang (鄧萃雯) be the next artist to join CTI?

Ok, so in my previous post, I had relayed a post that Sheren Tang had written on her Weibo that somewhat hinted that perhaps she will be the next HK / TVB artist to sign with CTI (those who didn’t get a chance to read the post can do so here).

After Sheren’s original post, I actually glanced through some of the comments that other fellow Weibo’ers posted (which is something I rarely do) and it appears from those comments that many others seemed to have the same ‘interpretation’ that I did (that perhaps Sheren has or will film series for CTI). It’s most likely because of these comments that Sheren decided to do an ‘updated’ post a few hours later supposedly ‘clarifying’ the situation.

I will be very honest and say that Sheren’s follow up ‘clarification’ post actually is a little vague and does not completely rule out the possibility of a future collaboration with CTI (she does not come right out and say whether she will be filming series for them or not). Therefore, I would still prefer to take the ‘wait and see’ approach, especially since the stuff I talked about in my previous post (about Sheren’s contract possibly being up and the fact that she prefers real location filming, etc.) is still very much valid (which also means that Sheren working with CTI in the future is not entirely impossible).

Anyway, here’s the ‘follow-up’ post from Sheren’s Weibo:

On 6/12 at 17:05, Sheren wrote:
一定要過檔才希望新電視台好嗎?跟不跟別台簽約我都想城電做得好,我看的是港劇的前景和同業們有更多空間生存與進步。不要說這是我的行業,即使只作為一個香港觀眾,也希望港劇精益求精、有點突破或改進吧!你們喜歡的'爺們味道',是包括心胸和視野的!童鞋們太敏感了吧!早!

Translation:  Is it necessary to jump ship in order to hope that the new TV station does well?  Whether I sign with another station or not, I still want CTI to do a good job – what I’m concerned about is the future of HK drama series and my colleagues having more space to exist and improve.  Not to mention that this [television industry] is my career, even if I were only a HK audience, I would still hope that HK TV series constantly improve and perhaps even have a breakthrough or made better!   The ‘male-like strong personality’ that you guys like about me is inclusive of both breadth of mind and vision!  Weibo friends, perhaps a bit too sensitive?!  Good morning!
 


After reading the above as well as the previous post, what are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Time will tell. As you said her post is quite vague. I don't think she will admit to anything until she has finished War & Beauty 2 as it isn't professional to disclose she'll be joining CTI while filming TVB drama. I am sure she wanna maintain good relationship with TVB. Anyway if she joins CTI, there will definitely be a press conference.

    Actually whether she joins CTI or not isn't that impt in that she is more of a freelancer nowadays. As long as there is a good role & script I think she will take it. But at times I do question her choice as I don't find her new Huan Zu Ge Ge a good drama. But at least he can smell a turkey in House of Vengeance & Harmony:P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @BOGAEfan: Good point....with WAB2 still filming, it's probably not a good idea to confirm anything right now. From a timing perspective though, I think that the 'pieces' will start to fall into place in about a month or so, since that's when the filming for WAB2 wraps and around the time when CTI's news series are set to start filming (if she actually does join CTI that is).

      Very true -- as a freelancer, there's definitely more flexibility in terms of the types of roles / scripts she can choose. Especially with someone like Sheren, who has revealed in the past that she's very particular about the roles she chooses...that's one of the reasons why Sheren has been a freelancer for so long (if I recall correctly, she hasn't signed a management contract with TVB since the 80s when her initial contract expired).

      I actually haven't watched the new version of HZGG (though I've read about it) and to be honest, I have absolutely no intention of watching it because I already know I will get frustrated. The original version was too 'classic' and so I know I won't be able to stomach the new version....especially judging from my negative reaction to HZGG 3, which supposedly continued the storyline but switched out majority of the cast (in my opinion, that was the worse HZGG out of the 3). As it is, I already regret sitting through all of HZGG 3, so definitely don't want to put myself through that torture again by even attempting the new version...LOL!

      Delete
  2. Yes I feel that it's not the right time to disclose anything even if she is thinking about joining. We all know what Sheren prefers, and what TVB lacks. Also she respects good actors even mention how she wished Kent Cheng was part of War and Beauty 2. Only time will tell whether she'll be jumping ship and with this news, it's a wonder how TVB will act.

    Obtaining Sheren an actress so well liked by HK audience and housewives will be a very BIG boost to CTI even if it's only a per series contract.

    YES imagine Felix and Sheren working together for a drama now that's a treat for us audience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @sport3888: Sheren is one of those rare actresses who is truly passionate about her craft while at the same time wanting to ensure that audiences get the best viewing experience possible (most of the actresses nowadays are primarily motivated by money and fame). And I like how she knows exactly what she wants in life and is independent-minded enough to make decisions that she feels are best for her and her career (again, alike some actresses who let their management companies do everything for them and dictate their careers). Like you guys said, only time will tell as to whether she will jump ship or not -- if she does though, it will definitely be huge news!

      Oh, and to answer BOGAEfan's question about whether Felix and Sheren had collaborated before in the 80s -- yup, they definitely have (the series that comes to mind is The Brothers Under the Skin in 1986)...I think there might have been another one, but can't remember right now...Out of the 5 Tigers, Sheren worked with Tony the most, but since the chance of seeing another collaboration from the two of them is virtually impossible, I am definitely happy to settle for a reunion between Felix and Sheren...hahaha!

      Delete
    2. Can you please give me the Cantonese pinyin for The Brothers Under the Skin & a few lines of summary as I spent the whole night trying to remember but failed & I also tried to google but not much info:( I suspect I might have missed this drama which is very rare:P

      Delete
    3. @BOGAEfan: Sure...the Chinese title for "The Brothers Under the Skin" is 遁甲奇兵(Cantonese pinyin is "Dun Gap Kei Bing").

      There actually isn't much info on it on the internet, but my friend DTLCT did do a great review on it a few years ago...if you want to know more about the series, you may want to read her review...here's the link: http://dtlct.wordpress.com/2010/11/03/brothers-under-the%C2%A0skin/

      Delete