Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Fox Asia’s “The Trading Floor” to premiere on May 24th


Saw this article yesterday about Fox Asia's highly anticipated first Chinese-language series, "The Trading Floor."  Many of us were wondering when this series will air and the last I had heard several months back was Spring 2018….well, yesterday they finally announced that the series will officially premiere on Fox's Chinese language channel on May 24th.

Below are some of the highlights from the article (will translate in more detail when I have time but for those who can read Chinese, I suggest checking out the original article itself).

-          Chinese name of the series changed from  香港華爾街   to 東方華爾街
-          Producer for the series is Andy Lau
-          Director is KK Wong (he was the director/producer for HKTV's "The Election")
-          Cast features ensemble of actors/actresses from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China
-          Partial cast includes:  Francis Ng, Joseph Chang, Patrick Tam, Maggie Cheung, Liu Kai Chi, Poon Chan Leung, Law Kar Ying, Cheung Lui, Carlos Chan, Jacky Cai, Fish Liew, etc.
-          Season 1 will be 5 episodes
-          Story is about the finance sector in Asia and the changes that it goes through over a 20 year time period.  Francis plays a finance expert who will do everything he can to climb to the top and become finance boss – throughout the process, he will face off against his apprentice student Joseph Chang

There is a trailer included in the article, which I haven't had a chance to watch yet so I'm not sure if it's the same one as previously released.  The 2 posters are new though and both versions (which have been dubbed "Cash 1.0" and "Cash 2.0" by the director) look AWESOME!

I honestly can't wait to watch this series!



Link to article: https://www.hk01.com/即時娛樂/186166/東方華爾街-吳鎮宇張孝全師徒決裂-記錄亞洲金融戰場20年

11 comments:

  1. I just watched the first two episodes and the audio quality wasn't that great so it was hard to understand they are talking about. Also, the one I watched didn't have English subs (and I can't read Chinese) lol. Anyways, I like the show so far. it looks like there are a lot of things going on. When are they going to release more episodes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where did you find the first two episodes?

      Delete
    2. @ch1kusoo: Sorry for the super late reply....Blogger made some changes to their site and I wasn't getting email notifications so didn't see this until now.

      I'm assuming you watched the Tencent version since there were no English subtitles? If I remember correctly from what I read, the Fox+ original version does have English subtitles just like the trailer did. I haven't gotten around to watching yet unfortunately but I'm definitely looking forward to it! Season 1 is only 5 episodes -- they released the first 2 episodes and I think the 3rd episode was this week...I think they will probably release 1 episode a week.

      I can't wait to watch -- the acting and cinematography alone I'm sure will be well worth the effort!

      Delete
  2. I just came up with a theory about the future development of this show. If you look at the Chinese name of the show, it's kinda lame and unoriginal. At first, it's "Hong Kong Wall Street" and then now they changed it to "Oriental Wall Street." Not much thought isn't there? Or is that all there is to it? Remember that Jason Soong said that with Netflix's backing that they may hire Hollywood actors for OCTB season 2? What if the producers of The Trading Floor are thinking of the same thing for their show? I know it's a bit early in thinking about it but how's this for a theory:

    1)The Trading Floor is produced by FOX Asia

    2)The 1987 hit Wall Street (and it's 2010 sequel) were produced by 21st Century Fox. Both staring Michael Douglas.

    My theory is: What if the show really takes off, they'll hire Michael Douglas and bring back his character Gordon Gecko and make the show a sequel to the previous movies? How awesome is that? I hope Andy Lau, KK Wong, the Cantonese blogs/forumers see this and spread this theory around.

    Oh yeah, on top of all this. Wouldn't it be awesome if Adam Cheng is in this show in the future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ch1kusoo: Very observant, lol! Yea, I was actually wondering why the changed the name...I actually do think that they are aiming for a more global audience in the future and season 1 is basically to test the waters. Andy Lau did say that there will be for sure season 2 (he's already working on getting artists lined up to star in it) and this sounds like the type of series that they can continue on for multiple seasons with either the same or different casts...so yea, definitely anything is possible.

      Not sure about Adam Cheng, since I've never been a fan of his acting, lol....but yes, if they could get Hollywood stars to participate, that would definitely be a bonus. The series does have an advantage with already being under the Fox label and with its international / global status, I'm pretty sure it won't be difficult to find Hollywood actors. OCTB had a more difficult time because it had no connections -- if it hadn't been picked up by Netflix, it probably would not have had a chance to reach an international audience like it did.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where exactly can you watch this? (preferably for free...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @sport: I haven’t watched yet so not sure. I tried Tencent’s website and it’s definitely there, but since it’s restricted by region, I have to use VPN to watch and didn’t have time to fiddle with it. I’m trying to see if any of the Fox channels here have it, as I prefer to watch that version rather than the one targeted to Mainland audiences. If I find out where, I’ll definitely let you know...

      Delete
    2. @sport: Update on where to watch this series. Latest news is that ViuTV bought the broadcast rights to the series so they are going to air it on their channel soon. I still haven’t watched it yet because I can’t access Fox Plus here in the U.S. (didn’t want to bother with VPN) and I refuse to watch the Mandarin-dubbed version on Tencent. Hopefully ViuTv will air it soon so I can go watch on their site (since I have an account with them).

      Delete
    3. lol oh how "ironic" a Fox+ series that needs to be sold to ViuTV to have any HK audience. Honestly the whole Fox+ channel is going to fail, who would pay for Fox + when they can have Netflix and Hulu? Heck many Asian are so frugal they wouldn't even pay for Netflix.

      I'm so glad ViuTV bought it that way it will have a wider HK/Cantonese audience not to mention people will upload it online for free viewing.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete